Help make Washington Irving’s classic American tale, “Rip Van Winkle,” intriguing to a high school audience with these dynamic lesson materials that will take three class periods to complete.
This product includes:
• Step-by-step, detailed directions about how to use the three days’ worth of “Rip Van Winkle” materials and multimedia suggestions/links (1-page PDF)
• Quickwrite Prompt designed to connect students’ lives and popular media to the Washington Irving material they’re about to enjoy (1-page slide in both Powerpoint and PDF format)
• Full-text version of the original “Rip Van Winkle” short story with public domain illustrations from a mid-1800’s printing of the tale (24-page PDF)
• High quality audio recording of the full “Rip Van Winkle” short story (40 minutes in mp3 format)
• Literary analysis and personal connection questions on an attractively designed student handout (1-page handout and 2-page detailed answer key for easy grading and to help guide class discussion)
• Non-fiction/informational text lesson featuring an article about a Rip Van Winkle-esque teen sleep disorder and a series of deep-thinking questions for students (1-page article handout; 1-page student question handout; 1-page detailed answer key for easy grading and to help guide class discussion)
• Link to a Twilight Zone episode inspired by “Rip Van Winkle,” which serves as a strong and amusing example of situational irony
Please note: These lesson materials are NOT included in my Four-Week Short Story Bundle.
Click HERE for more American literature resources.
Thanks for stopping by!