The following common core aligned bundle of 2 lessons/worksheets focuses on the rise and fall of imperialism in Africa. Purchase this bundle and save $1.00 (if you purchased both lessons separately). The worksheets include a variety of student-centered activities designed to develop critical thinking skills and foster class discussion.
Imperialism in Africa worksheet - Global/World History Common Core
• Do now that serves to review from the previous lesson as well as set up the current one.
• Introduction to the Scramble for Africa – includes several thought provoking and critical thinking questions.
• Small group activity – Primary Sources on Pros and Cons of Imperialism in Africa – analysis of primary source documents – students complete a chart and answer several critical thinking questions.
• Class discussion follows.
African Nations Gain Independence worksheet - Global/World History Common Core
• Do now cartoon analysis reviewing the reasons and process of African imperialism.
Small group activity – analyzing challenges of Africa under colonial rule and potential methods of gaining independence.
• Song analysis – War by Bob Marley (lyrics and song not included but available online for free) – includes questions
• Case studies – Ghana and Kenya – includes primary and secondary source readings and many critical thinking questions perfect for class discussion.
• Discussion of potential African problems after colonialism
• Fill-in-the-blank notes with answers.
These lessons can easily be modified to fit a longer or shorter class period. Please follow me to receive notifications when new products become available. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Please rate this bundle! Thanks!
Please see each individual worksheet (available on TPT also) for the previews and specific common core standards.