The Rising Up: Literacy Skills Activity Book for Secondary Education (recommended grades 6-8 or high school reading/remedial programs, or ESL/ELD) offers a series of powerful literacy strategies and activities that teachers use to:
- improve students' literacy skills;
- enhance instruction through engaging activities;
- increase students' ability to read, write, and speak with greater proficiency; and
- effectively implement Common Core standards for content area literacy and college and career readiness (CCRs).
This Activity Book offers strategic reading experiences that guide and support students as they learn new skills and benchmarks that teachers can use to formatively assess students' growth.
When using the workbook, we recommend starting with short texts (no longer than 2-4 pages) or chunk lengthier texts into shorter, more manageable reading assignments. Length and sophistication of text should increase as students demonstrate proficiency in reading.
- 12 sequenced reading lessons that can be used with any non-fiction text
- Spiraled skills and language resources to support students as text complexity increases
- Interactive activities that challenge and motivate students as they learn 21st century communication skills
- A simple roadmap for effective implementation of Common Core College and Career Anchor Standards for reading, writing, and listening/speaking
- Quarterly benchmarks to formatively assess students' growth as they learn new academic skills