Karen Ostlund and Sheryl Mercier authored and illustrated this book of hands on science activities that use everyday objects to teach the scientific process thinking skills. The original book was published in 1996; over time, modifications and additions have been added electronically. A fire destroyed the hardcover books.The original publication was 90 pages and has been more than doubled in size.
The book is divided into 4 sections. First, teach each process skill (now called scientific practices with NGSS) with a hands-on activity, then apply those skills in earth, physical and life science using rocks, seashells (molluscs) and sound as content.
The ebook contains:
1. Lively, inviting, illustrated student recording pages
2. 36 activities and investigations for grades 5-8
3. Life, Earth, and Physical Science content for Rocks, Seashells, and
4. The steps and application of processes of scientific inquiry
5. Metacognition steps for students to think about their own thinking
6. Cooperative and collaborative learning techniques with role cards for roles
7. Teaching tips
8. Black line masters for teaching the processes. These can be enlarged to poster size
for the science class.
9. Assessment strategies and rubrics
10. Extended thinking and writing assignments
11. Science notes for added content