Crossword which tests students' understanding of key vocabulary in the study of Rivers.
There are 37 words. These include
- Specific River Keywords (Source, Tributaries, Mouth, Estuary, Drainage Basin, Course, Confluence, Watershed, Load)
- River Stages (Youth, Mature, Old Age)
- General Terms (Erosion, Deposition, Transportation)
- Processes of Erosion (Hydraulic Action, Abrasion, Solution)
- Transportation Methods (Solution, Suspension, Saltation, Traction)
- Features of Rivers (Valley, Waterfall, Interlocking Spurs, Meander, Floodplain, Alluvium, Levees, Oxbow Lake, Delta, Distributaries)
- Words relating to Human Activity and Rivers (Flooding, Dam, Reservoir, HydroElectricity, Irrigation, Pollution)
This could be used as an assignment at the end of a unit on rivers. Alternatively, it could be used as a tool for revision. Sometimes an activity like this is useful as a filler, when you have nothing else prepared!
I've added as much detail as possible to the clues, so that students are learning while working on this task. In this way, it's an Active Learning Resource.
There is a word bank to assist students. You could redact this to make it more difficult.
The solution is also provided. Download the preview file to see the solution and how the words appear in the grid.