Two thematic units.
Unit 1. Although only parts of the Maya and Aztec script have been deciphered, we can learn a great deal about other cultures from their sculptures, drawings and architecture. My students analyzed the picture that is included in the units, the stone statue of a mother with her children and were able to figure out information about foods they ate, the clothes they wore and child rearing. Deductive reasoning at its best.
Unit 2. Rivera, Orozco, Siqueiros! These Mexican muralists are world renown. Introduce your students to some paintings and link the painters to Frida Kahlo, the wife of Diego Rivera. All teachers like this subject. The students will like it just as much. The picture of Frida lying in her bed was an excellent discussion catalyst in my class.
Here is what is included: You can also click on Preview and read it all.
Subject matter: how to read the Maya hieroglyphics; Mexican art
Vocabulary: nouns and verbs related to cultures of the Americas; art
Grammar: gender / prepositions
Oral practice: student plays role of archaeologist; analysis of a Frida Kahlo painting
Homework: research indigenous culture
Internet: Key word list to facilitate a search
ALSO AVAILABLE IN AN "ARTS BUNDLE" THAT INCLUDES:
1. Goya / Gaudí / Rodrigo; 3 interdisciplinary thematic units - SP Beginners 1
2. Cervantes and Sor Juana / Picasso / Felipe VI; 3 thematic units - SP Beginners 1
3. Rivera, Orozco, Siqueiros / Indigenous cultures: 2 thematic units - SP Intermediate 1
4. Fernando Botero / Cartega de Indias; 2 thematic units - SP Intermediate 1
5. Las Meninas / Felipe II; 2 thematic units - SP Intermediate 2
(You get ALL five for the price of four)