The Road to Reading program is a five-step lesson format to remediate and prevent reading difficulties. One of the steps in the program includes the student reading Phonetically Regular Words (PRWs). This set includes PRWs from the Green Level, which focuses on:
* vowel teams: ee, oa, ai, ea, oe, ie, ay, and ow (e.g., jeep, coat, nail, seal, toe, pie, hay, low)
* above vowel teams with digraphs and initial and final blends (e.g., sheep, float, stain, clean, pray, snow)
* vowel teams: ou, oo, ow, aw, au, oi, oy, ew, and ea with single consonants (e.g., out, moon, book, cow, paw, haul, coin, joy, new, head)
* above vowel teams with digraphs and initial and final blends (e.g., scout, school, brook, plow, crawl, August, spoil, ploy, chew, bread)
* words with -igh (e.g., sigh, night, flashlight
* two-syllable words with a vowel between two consonants (e.g., robot, limit)
* two-syllable words made up of closed, final "e" open, and vowel team syllables (e.g., napkin, pancake, invite, peanut, sailboat, tiptoe, robot)
Each word card features large print. Vowels are color-coded in red to draw student attention, and can easily fit into a small container (such as a travel soap holder) to quickly distribute amongst students.
In my classroom, I have sets of these cards divided between plastic containers. Students are to choose one of the containers and practice reading the cards to themselves while I listen to one student read orally to me at a time. I have these cards printed on white cardstock and laminated for durability.
**Red, Yellow, and Orange Levels are also available in my store. The rest of the levels will be added soon!