PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
The Road to Reading program is a five-step lesson format to remediate and prevent reading difficulties. One of the steps in the program includes the student reading Phonetically Regular Words (PRWs). This set includes PRWs from the Yellow Level, which focuses on:
* final "e" words (a-e, i-e, o-e, u-e, and e-e)
* final "e" words containing consonant digraphs and blends (e.g. shade, flame)
* open, one-syllable words, including words ending in y
* words with -ed (focusing on the three sounds -ed can have at the end of a word)
* compound words made up of previously learned syllable patterns (e.g. sunset, fishnet)
and two-syllable words with two consonants between two vowels creating two closed
syllables (e.g. rabbit, napkin)
Each word card features large print. Vowels are color-coded in red to draw student attention, and can easily fit into a small container (such as a travel soap holder) to quickly distribute amongst students.
In my classroom, I have sets of these cards divided between plastic containers. Students are to choose one of the containers and practice reading the cards to themselves while I listen to one student read orally to me at a time. I have these cards printed on white cardstock and laminated for durability.
**All levels are now available in my store. While in my store, check out the fun high-frequency word game that I use within Step 3 of the Road to Reading lesson! My students love it, and it's super quick and easy. :)