This is a 7 part assignment on the Roaring 1920’s. Each part (except for the last one) has students read a small section about a topic from the 1920s and answer questions. The topics are as follows:
1. Read a 2 page handout on Al Capone (including the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre) and his life and answer 6 questions about the reading.
2. Read a small section called “The Decade that Roared” (about inventions, and 18th Amendment) and answer 4 questions.
3.Read a small section called “Prohibition Becomes Law” (about Amendments, Speakeasies, Bootleggers, Volstead Act) and answer 6 questions.
4. Read a small section called “Flaming Youth” (about flappers, and lifestyle of the youth in the 1920s) and answer 6 questions.
5. Read a section called “Welcome to the Jazz Age” and answer 5 questions.
6.Read a small section called “At the Movies” (about movies in the 1920s) and answer 4 questions.
7. There are items labeled what with what they would cost in the 1920s and students must answer questions about it- thus requires them do basic math (Addition, Subtraction). There is a total of 8 questions.
This is the perfect age for Middle School, I have used it before in high school, however, the reading is not difficult, but it was just for them to get the basic facts. It took my Middle Schoolers about 60 mins and my high school kids about 30-40 mins.