The following is an activity in which students are assigned to create an "encyclopedia" which historically describes and details social and cultural changes brought about in life in America during the Roaring Twenties.
Students are instructed to create a 13 page encyclopedia to serve as a "reference material for children".
Students are given a list of 13 topics including the following:
- Prohibition (amendment, speakeasies, bootlegging)
- Organized Crime (bootleggers, gangsters)
- Youth (slang, fashions, fads)
- Women (attitudes, lifestyles, Flappers)
- Consumer Goods
- Heroes (sports, flight)
- News Coverage
- Entertainment (movies, writers)
- Installments Plans (buying on credit)
- Harlem Renaissance (art, literature, music/jazz)
This activity comes with an introduction, objective, a clearly written task, and a grading rubric.
This activity pairs well with my "Life of the Roaring Twenties PPT" (available in my store for purchase)