END OF THE YEAR PROJECT
ROBART the Art Robot is a STEM / STEAM activity to explore the transfer of energy. This resource guides students through the engineering process as they design and construct a simple robot called an Art Robot. The Art Robot stands on legs made of fine marker pens, and its motor vibrates to move the Art Robot as it draws.
This activity and resources are easily adaptable for all grade levels. Kids of all ages --- from preschoolers to college students to grandparents --- have made their very own art robots!
This fun activity is the perfect STEM / STEAM lesson with a product that can be used throughout the school year to address energy relationships, especially as your class addresses the NGSS cross cutting concept of energy.
This entertaining and easy hands-on activity can be used for students to model and illustrate energy relationships mastered in science class at Open House or at an end of the year Science Night.
The art robot is versatile --- you can choose to decorate it or not. And if you do, the possibilities are endless! We have decorated our art robots as school mascots and for holidays.
Don’t let the electrical part scare you! The motors connect easily to the battery holder --- and even the youngest students have had no difficulty understanding how to put their art robot together. With just a little prep, your class will be ready to go! There’s even a short movie of the art robot included to give you an idea of what the art robot will do!
In this activity students will
• Design and construct a simple robot that creates art
• Build an open and closed electrical circuit
• Discover how to connect a motor to an electrical circuit so that it functions
• Investigate how the rotation of the motor affects the robot's movement
• Identify the types of energies associated with a system
• Describe the transfer of energy throughout a system
Included resources help make this activity easy and fun for students and teachers.
This resource includes
• 38 slide Making an Art Robot STEAM Powerpoint Presentation
• 38 page Making an Art Robot How-To Instruction Packet with pictures
• 3 page Robart the Art Robot 5E Lesson Plan
• 2 page Robart the Art Robot Student Activity Sheet [Engineer It Yourself Option]
• 2 page Robart the Art Robot Student Activity Sheet [Guts Out Construction Option]
• 2 page Robart the Art Robot Student Activity Sheet [Guts In Construction Option]
• 1 page Robart the Art Robot Science Background Notes
• 1 page Art Robot Supply List with pictures and suggested vendor
• 1 Robart the Art Robot short example movie
This investigation addresses the NGSS standards 4-PS3, MS-PS3, and HS-PS3. In addition, it addresses the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) Cross Cutting Concept of Energy and Matter.
This investigation addresses the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) for Science and Engineering Practices
• Developing and Using Models
• Planning and Carrying Out Investigations
• Analyzing and Interpreting Data
• Constructing Explanations and Designing Solutions
• Engaging in Argument from Evidence
COMMON CORE CONSIDERATIONS
This activity meets Common Core ELA/Literacy Standards in Science & Technical Subjects in Key Ideas and Details.