***Hispanic Heritage Month!*** In this ready-to-go biographical article and activity mini-unit about Roberto Clemente, a famous Puerto Rican baseball player and philanthropist, Beginner to Intermediate ESL students practice reading and responding to informational text. It can be used for an in-class activity, homework, or an emergency sub plan. I designed this product with upper-level elementary, middle school, and high school ESL students in mind because I often find resources that are appropriate for my students' language levels, but not their age levels. My goal is to create ESL materials that are appropriate for both. Included in this product are:
1. Roberto Clemente biography (1.5 pages)
2. Vocabulary: Academic vocabulary (Tier 2 & 3 words) in bold print throughout reading. Vocabulary chart, adapted from Learner's Dictionary, at the end of reading with definitions. Parts of speech and singular/plural words are also identified in the chart.
3. Spelling Practice: Students unscramble vocabulary words and write the correct spelling in sentences taken from the reading.
4. Vocabulary Practice: Students complete cloze sentences with the correct vocabulary word. Sentences are out of the context of the reading.
5. Vocabulary Cards: Words and definitions on cards. Great for matching activities, such as Memory, or word walls.
6. Grammar: Students conjugate verbs from reading into past tense.
7. Text Feature Identification: Students identify text features like title, subheadings, topic and concluding sentences, and sequence of events.
8. Question Annotation: Students underline question word once, verbs twice, and circle the subject.
9. Reading Comprehension: After students annotate questions, they answer reading comprehension questions using complete sentences.
10. Cause and Effect worksheet based on reading. Includes a writing prompt: "Roberto Clemente did a lot of charity work during his lifetime. What are some things that you do to help other people in your life?"
11. Paragraph Writing Outline: Topic sentence, details, examples, and concluding sentence.
12. Paragraph Writing Template
13. CCSS Alignment & Teaching Tips
Hispanic Heritage Month for ESL: 3 Biographical Articles with Activities
ESL Human Rights Leaders Informational Texts, Activities, & Final Hero Project
Martin Luther King, Jr. Biographical Article & Activities
Mandela Biographical Article & Activities
Gandhi Biographical Article & Activities
Aung San Suu Kyi Biographical Article & Activities
Malala Biographical Article & Activities
Frida Kahlo Biographical Article & Activities