This student activity is a fun introduction to robotics in the classroom, and can be used with various robotics units, including the 5th grade Project Lead the Way (PLTW) "Robotics and Automation" module.
- Internet Access
- Google Apps account (school accounts)
- Access to YouTube
- Access to Popplet (iPad app or website - free version works!)
- 1:1 or 1:2 devices (Tablet, Chromebooks, Laptops. etc.)
- YouTube (videos embedded in Google Slides) and will play through YouTube.
- 2-5 hours, depending on the amount of research time allowed.
- The activity can be stretched or shortened to meet your needs.
Engineering Design 3-5-ETS1-1.
Define a simple design problem reflecting a need or a want that includes specified criteria for success and constraints on materials, time, or cost.
- Teacher Instructions for implementing the activity.
- A link to the Student Directions (Website)
- Links to videos of various types of robots (YouTube videos)
- Link to a Popplet introduction video
- Robot Research Form (can be used as a digital form or printed) for student research notes.