These activities are designed to give your students practice with use and understanding of basic reference materials.
Each activity offers student friendly, hands-on experiences and comes with a student task card, templates and recording sheets. They can be used to introduce or reinforce skills taught in class. This packet includes the following:
1. Grade Level Common Core Standards Addressed (2-5)
2. Reference Material Anchor Charts: dictionary, thesaurus, atlas, encyclopedia, glossary, index, table of contents and the internet
3. Rockin' Reference Materials-Sort It Out!:Students make a flap book with the above listed reference materials (2 versions). They will read the word phrases and sort them into the correct categories.
4. I SPY Rockin' Reference Materials:This activity can be used as a center or placed around the room. Students answer and identify questions about different reference materials and record their answers.(answer key provided)
5.Jammin' With Reference Materials: Students sort question cards into the correct reference material categories and record their answers.
6. Rockin' Reference Materials-How Do I Use It?: There are 4 review pages which can be used to assess your students knowledge of reference materials. The review pages include: table of contents, dictionary/thesaurus, index and glossary. Answer keys are included.
Be sure to check out the preview file for more details!