Rockin’ Rocks - 7 English Idiom Writing Prompts
Please see the preview.
Idioms can be so hard to understand, especially for language learners. Integrating them into a science unit makes them fun and often hilarious.
Each prompt includes a graphic organizer for the prewrite; organizer with prompt space; and a simple prompt version. Some versions include writing reminders about capitalization, indenting, and re-reading for sentence fluency. Most idioms include a sentence-level scaffolded prompt for differentiation.
• I’ve Lost My Marbles realistic fiction
• Hit Me Like a Ton of Bricks narrative
• Heart of Gold/Heart of Stone compare/contrast
• Kill Two Birds with One Stone narrative
• Nothing’s Carved in Stone persuasive
• Hit the Dirt realistic fiction
• Leave No Stone Unturned fantasy fiction
1. Choose an “idiom of the week” during your Rock Cycle Unit
2. Choose 3-4 kids at a time to stand up front and pantomime while you explain the meaning of the idiom and give an example scenario.
3. Give each pair or team 1 idiom to illustrate. Leave the finished posters up until the unit is done. (How about giving posters away as prizes?)
4. Later – assign an idiom per team and let them have 1 minute to act it out for the rest of the class to decipher which idiom they had, like charades.
5. Use many of the prewrites, but allow students to choose which idiom to turn into a story or essay.
Update: 12/5/2015 to fix lines that fell of the page when saved as a PDF. Two extra writing pages added (not new content).
This is part of the Rockin’ Rocks Language Arts BIG BUNDLE
– no need to buy the parts if you own the whole bundle. Please see the links below for the individual parts:
• Rockin’ Rocks ESSENTIAL Questions and JOURNAL
• Rockin’ Rocks NONFICTION ELA
• Rockin’ Rocks VOCABULARY Bundle
• Rockin’ Rocks WRITING Bundle
o Rockin’ Rocks SCIENCE Writing
o Rockin’ Rocks IDIOM Writing
o Rockin’ Rocks Inspirational QUOTE Writing
o Rockin’ Rocks Stone Soup Pardody 6-trait Writing
• Rockin’ Rocks ROLL READ GRAPH
• Rockin’ Rocks QUIZZES
My thanks to the following creative talents: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ashley-Hughes-38 (paper)
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Krista-Wallden (creative clips)
Thank you for your interest in Creative Core Integrations by Kim Shelley!
*Follow me* - for 50% off new products for the first 48 hours.