This pack is amazing! It is so much more than a rock unit. This pack integrates ELA, science, writing, and hands-on experiments. It is a close reading and writing unit designed for young learners. The lessons carefully scaffold from teacher modeling, to guided practice, to partner practice, then to independent student practice. Each rock section consists of a 3 part close reading lesson. After teacher modeling, students will read the differentiated text, text code, answer text dependent questions, and take notes. Once all three rocks are taught, students will use their notes to make a rock trading card as a culminating writing project. This unit is versatile to meet the needs of any classroom. The student books were carefully written with 1-2 students in mind. We have spent several years designing close reading lessons that cater to primary students. These lessons are rigorous yet appropriate for young learners. This is everything you need to teach a rigorous and engaging rock unit. You will not need supplements for this unit. This not designed to supplement your current rock unit, it is your rock unit!
During this unit students will:
- Listen as the teacher reads aloud the teacher text for each rock (text provided)
- Code text with the teacher for each rock (text and coding answer sheets are provided)
- Answer and discuss text dependent questions for each rock (questions provided)
- Talk about the text with each other
- Read differentiated text about the each rock with partners and independently (4 different levels are provided for each rock)
- Code text with teacher model, partners, and independently using differentiated printable books (scaffolding lessons plans to instruct students from teacher modeling to independent practice are provided)
- Take notes on each rock using a note sheet (note sheets provided)
- Use their rock notes to write rock trading cards about each rock. You will be amazing your students’ writing due to all of their knowledge about rocks (rock trading card templates included).
At the end of each rock close read student have the opportunity to deeper their understanding of each rock as they complete fun food science projects for each rock and complete additional writing activities (food science projects and writing activities included).
- Assess their writing (assessment/checklist provided).
Detailed Close Reading Lesson Plans
4 Differentiated Igneous Rock Student Text
4 Differentiated Sedimentary Rock Student Text
4 Differentiated Metamorphic Rock Student Text
Igneous Rock Teacher Text
Sedimentary Rock Teacher Text
Metamorphic Rock Teacher Text
Text Coding Answer Sheets
Text Coding, Note-Taking, Turn and Talk Anchor Charts
Note Sheets for all 3 Rocks
Writing in Response to Text Culminating Writing Project
Writing Project Assessment
Additional Writing Activities
Making Rocks with Food
Do you find yourself asking, “What is Close Reading?” Visit the Core Coaches blog post
to find out more!
We would love to hear from you! Please remember to earn your free TpT credit by leaving feedback when you purchase!
Follow us to get updates on our newest products!
@thecorecoaches on Instagram
@Core_Coaches on Twitter
The Core Coaches on Facebook
The Core Coaches on Pinterest
For helpful tips, hints, and classroom strategies check out our blog!
The Core Coaches Blog