7 Hands-On Working with Rocks Activities.
- How can you tell the difference between rock and wood by touching them?
- Choose two rocks from the rock collection and compare them with regard to weight, shape, texture and crystal structure. Chart their differences and similarities.
- Classify the rocks in the rock collection according to their shape, size, texture, weight, and color.
- Classify the rocks in the rock collection as sedimentary, ingenous or metamorphic.
- Examine a rock from the collection. Then blindfold themselves and see if they can still find the rock with the blindfold on.
- Try to simulate what water does to rocks by putting them in a box and shaking them.
- Choose any rock from the rock collection, list the ways it might be used.