This 18-page activity package is a great introductory or culminating activity for your Rocks and Minerals unit! Students engage in 12 different tasks that take them through various videos and websites to learn all about rocks and minerals.
This download also includes an answer key!
Some of the Grade 3 Alberta Education outcomes covered in this WebQuest include:
- Compare samples of various kinds of rock, and identify similarities and differences.
- Given a description of the properties of a particular rock or mineral, identify a sample rock or mineral that matches those properties. Properties that students should be able to describe and interpret include: colour, lustre, texture, hardness, carbonate presence, shape/pattern
- Recognize that rocks are composed of a variety of materials; and given a coarse-grained rock and magnifier, describe some of the component materials.
- Recognize and describe the various components within a sample of soil; e.g., clay, sand, pebbles, decaying plants; and describe differences between two different soil samples.
- Describe ways in which rocks break down to become soil, and demonstrate one or more of these ways; e.g., by shaking a group of small, soft rocks in a jar of water; by striking rocks together. Note: Safety goggles should be used.
- Describe some common uses of rocks and minerals; and identify examples of those uses within the school, home or local community.