Rocks and Minerals – A Fourth Grade SMARTBoard Introduction is a SMARTBoard 4th grade level instructional presentation
It includes: a SMARTBoard presentation of the text along with three fully interactive slides that are also available in PDF format to print and issue as classwork, homework, or attach/incorporate into an interactive notebook.
The presentation includes:
• Introduction to minerals.
• 4 properties for identifying minerals.
• Moh’s Hardness Scale diagram.
• Igneous rocks defined/explained.
• Sedimentary rocks and relative age explained.
• Metamorphic rocks introduced.
• Explanation of the rock cycle.
• Uses for rocks and minerals.
The interactive/review slides and printables:
• Activity one has students answering 7 questions from a mineral properties chart.
• Activity two has students moving identification terms into a picture of the rock cycle. Terms include: deposition, melting, eruption, cooling, sediment, magma, igneous rock, sedimentary rock, and metamorphic rock.
• Activity three has students matching definitions to terms/pictures from the presentation. Included vocabulary – mineral, magma, igneous rock, relative age, sedimentary rock, metamorphic rock, resources, and rock cycle.