- To understand that rocks are made up of various minerals.
Objective of the Game:
- To make various rocks, by collecting all the minerals that make up the rocks.
How To Set up the Game:
- Print (in color) one copy of the first three pages, and 4 copies of the last page. Cut out each rock and mineral and laminate the cards.
How to Play:
- There are 8 rock cards, with the minerals that make up each rock listed on each rock card. There are 22 mineral cards that make up the rocks.
- Place 8 hula hoops around the gym. Put one rock card into each hula hoop, and scatter the mineral cards around the rest of the gym.
- Assign students to each of the 8 rocks. Tell them they must collect the minerals that make up their rock. I usually assign one student per mineral that makes up the rock so the groups are fair.
- Have them collect the minerals by various methods (start with running, then you could change to using scooters) - they must work cooperatively to "make their rock".
- Once each group has collected their minerals for their rock they are safe and can stand in their hula hoop.
- If at any point in time, you shout "Earthquake", those students who have made their rock, get a point.
- Have the students switch rocks, so they can see what minerals make up various rocks.