Before buying this product, consider buying it as a bundle with other science units by following this link:
Grade 4 Science Units Bundled
Ontario Curriculum Expectations: Grade 4 Science - Understanding Earth and Space Systems
1. Assess the social and environmental impacts of human uses of rocks and minerals.
2. Investigate, test, and compare the physical properties of rocks and minerals.
3. Demonstrate an understanding of the physical properties of rocks and minerals.
1. What are Rocks?
2. What are Minerals?
3. Igneous Rock
4. Sedimentary Rock
5. Metamorphic Rock
6. The Rock Cycle
7. Types of Rock and Their Uses
8. How do we use Rocks and Minerals in Society?
1. Making Salt Crystals
2. Rock Hunt & Sort
3. Sedimentary Rock Model
4. Metamorphic Rock Formation
5. Erosion Demonstration
What is in the unit?
In this unit you will find:
1. Information articles on the topics listed above.
2. Worksheets that review the information in the articles.
3. Glossary of terms
5. One project - Rocks, Minerals and the Environment Research Project
- Research (Language Arts)
- Presentation (Language Arts - Oral Communication)
6. Final Test
7. Answer Keys
8. Project Rubric
1. Worksheets can be used as ongoing homework checks or collected and used as formative assessments.
2. Activities/Demonstrations/Experiments Follow Up Sheets
3. Project rubric
4. Final Test - Matching, True or False, Multiple Choice, and Short Answer
How to use the unit
The unit is meant to be used as a student handout with the articles, worksheets, activities, demonstrations, experiments, project description, and rubric to be photocopied for each student. Read through the articles together as a class and have students answer the corresponding worksheet questions. (Each article and worksheet questions should take around one 40 minute period). Take up the worksheet on the following day before starting the next article.
The activities, demonstrations and/or experiments can be completed by the teacher or the students in groups.
The project is meant to be completed in class under the supervision of the teacher. Students can work independently or in groups/pairs.
The test is to be given as a final summative assessment for the unit to evaluate what students have learned overall.
Links to Related Units:
Light & Sound
Habitats and Communities
Pulleys and Gears
Matter, Forces, Human Body, and Energy Conservation Bundle
Properties of and Changes in Matter
Conservation of Energy and Resources
Forces Acting on Structures and Mechanisms
Human Organ Systems
Biodiversity, Electricity, Space, and Flight Bundle
Electricity and Energy
Air and Flight
** Remember ** You can earn Tpt Credits and save money on future purchases by returning to my store to rate this product! Furthermore, your rating and feedback will help me to continue to create products that suit yours and other teachers’ needs.