Also included in
- Rocks and Minerals Rock! This bundle includes both a printable activity pack and a digital version for Google Classroom. This unit has 10 kid-friendly leveled reading passages, organizers, tri-fold brochure activity, unit test (editable), flipbook, vocabulary posters, science labs, interactive activ$14.00$20.00Save $6.00
Rocks and Minerals Rock! This unit has 10 kid-friendly leveled reading passages, organizers, tri-fold brochure activity, unit test (editable), flipbook, vocabulary posters, science labs, comprehension and connection activities, and much more!
This unit includes many interactive activities and learning opportunities for students with leveled reading passages that focus on:
- Rocks and minerals
- Igneous Rock
- Sedimentary Rock
- Metamorphic Rock
- Amazing Minerals
- Colorful Crystals
- Layers of the Earth
- Tectonic Plates
- The Rock Cycle
- Leveled Reading Passages---THREE Different Levels of Difficulty
- Teacher's Pacing Guide
- Teacher's Directions & Notes
- Three Types of Rocks Pocket Sort
- Three short videos on safeshare.tv
- Facts About Rocks and Mineral Notebook Flaps
- Label The Rock Cycle
- Rocks Rock Tri-fold Booklet
- Name That Rock or Mineral Activity
- Label and Color the Layers of the Earth
- Layers of the Earth Flip Flaps
- How are Mountains Formed (Tectonic Plates)
- Science LABS (8)
- Flip Booklet (5 pages)
- Mineral Field Guide (4-pages)
- Unit Test (Editable)
- Answer Keys
Plus the vocabulary posters with real-life photos make an attractive bulletin board.
✔Spotlight on Vocabulary Activity
✔Vocabulary Flip Flaps
✔For Elementary Grades - 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade
✔Great for Core Knowledge
✔Common Core Aligned
• How are rocks changed?
• Explain the difference between erosion and weathering.
• What are the three types of rocks?
• What is sediment?
• How are rocks and minerals related?
• How is an igneous rock formed?
• Name and describe three types of igneous rock.
• How is a sedimentary rock formed?
• Name and describe three types of sedimentary rock.
• How is a metamorphic rock formed?
• Name and describe three types of metamorphic rock.
• Explain the rock cycle.
• What is a mineral?
• How are minerals helpful?
• How are crystals formed?
• What are the layers of the Earth?
• How are mountains formed?
• Name and describe three types of mountains.
• What is a volcano?
• How can a volcano affect our environment?
There are four main parts of the unit:
A teacher’s copy of the passages is in color. Read the leveled reading passages about rocks and minerals and complete the organizers. Each passage has comprehension questions to check for understanding. Watch the videos and complete the various hands-on activities in this pack to reinforce learning. These activities work well in small groups, partners, or in stations.
Students can build the flipbook page by page. I usually have them do one page at each center or station. They can use the articles as a reference source to help them complete the pages of the flip-up. Lastly, they cut, color, and assemble the booklet. Flip-up books can be glued or stapled inside their interactive notebooks.
This unit has 8 labs where students work as geologists to identify two mystery minerals. NOTE: Extra supplies are needed to complete the labs. Please read through the teacher's directions to prep for the labs.
Introduce the vocabulary words with the real-life photo posters included. You could post these posters around the classroom and have students travel around to match up and define the words in their flip flaps or spotlight on the vocabulary page. These posters make an excellent bulletin board display in a snap!
There are lots of activities for differentiation depending on the needs of your students and the time allotted for this unit.
Be sure to check out the PREVIEW for more information!
CHECK OUT MY OTHER POPULAR SOCIAL STUDIES UNITS:
JUST FOR YOU!! To assess the quality and see the style of my work please check out these two FREE activity packs by clicking below:
Subscribe to our NEWSLETTER to gain access to our FREE Library of Classroom Resources, special giveaways, and to see our products in action!
Please know that I spend a lot of time researching, creating, writing, and proofreading my work but even after several revisions there may still be a typo or grammatical error. Please let me know if you find a typo or feel that a correction is needed. Just click on the Ask a Question section or email me at email@example.com versus leaving negative feedback so that I can fix it as soon as possible. I value your input to make my products the highest quality possible. Thank you in advance for your help and support!
Copyright © Heart 2 Heart Teaching LLC. All rights reserved. This file is intended for classroom and personal use only. Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited other than the following:
**You may print for your personal, classroom use, and non-commercial use only.
**Clipart, graphics, photographs, found inside this product are copyrighted. They may not be extracted from this file without written permission from the original artist(s).