Rocks, Minerals, and Soil Unit
Use these activities with your rocks and minerals unit!
In This Unit:
1. Pet Rock Project – Students collect rocks and choose one to complete this
project. This project can be used in class, at home, or for an assessment.
All documents needed to complete the project elements are included.
Rubrics to grade assignments are included also.
2. Rock Investigation –Students work together or independently to explore
rock samples and observe their properties.
3. Making Rocks with Air Heads- Students will use three different colors of
miniature Air Heads to create the three types of rocks and experience
the rock cycle.
4. Rocks Quiz – Quiz can be used as mid-unit assessment. Quiz covers types
of rocks and definitions.
5. Layers of Earth- Diagram of Earth can be used to label layers of
6. Geology Vocabulary Journal – Journal includes boxes for students to
record definitions and examples. Definitions are also included on cards
that can be posted in room or used in groups.
7. Rocks, Minerals, Weathering, and Erosion Study Guide and Test- Use
study guide to prepare students for test. Test is very similar to study