Note: These theme-related quotations are also the focus of my ThemeQuotes trivia game based on this book (see list below).
These well-researched, thought-provoking quotations by great thinkers such as Lena Horne, Abraham LIncoln, Mahatma Gandhi, and more are a natural addition to your ROLL OF THUNDER, HEAR MY CRY unit! Use them to introduce the play, or as discussion starters, hangman games, or essay questions (essay suggestions as well as a final project suggestion are included). Or simply hang them around the room or on the bulletin board as inspiration. Fun, interesting, and value-instructive!
Here are my unique products over ROLL OF THUNDER, HEAR MY CRY. View all 15 in my store!
• ROLL OF THUNDER, HEAR MY CRY edition of Bookmarks Plus—A Handy Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy readin
• ROLL OF THUNDER, HEAR MY CRY: Trivia Game ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game! 250 questions!
• ROLL OF THUNDER, HEAR MY CRY: 50-word Prereading Crossword--Fun! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• ROLL OF THUNDER, HEAR MY CRY: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword—Fun! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
• ROLL OF THUNDER, HEAR MY CRY: Reading-for-Detail Crossword—Good Objective Review! A great way to check students’ reading skills!
• ROLL OF THUNDER, HEAR MY CRY: 10 Word Merges—One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• ROLL OF THUNDER, HEAR MY CRY: 10 Cryptograms—Encoded Quotations! Students decode quotations from the story! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
• ROLL OF THUNDER, HEAR MY CRY: 5 Novel-Based Word Searches Categories: Characters; Locations; Critters in the Story; Great Faith Elementary; Southern Fixin’s
• ROLL OF THUNDER, HEAR MY CRY: 10 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Unique! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• ROLL OF THUNDER, HEAR MY CRY: 5 Fill-In Word Puzzles—Good Trial-and-Error Workout! Students enter common words from the story into the puzzle grid, based on the number of letters in the word. The puzzle can be challenging, but each time students enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• ROLL OF THUNDER, HEAR MY CRY: 6 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique! Students decode lists of categorized words from the book! Categories: Mr. Morrison; Plants in the Story; Onomatopoeias; Stacey; Local Life; The Fire;
• ROLL OF THUNDER, HEAR MY CRY: Anagram Crossword Puzzle—Challenging! Students decipher common terms from the novel! The puzzle can be challenging, but, as with all crosswords, almost every time they enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• ROLL OF THUNDER, HEAR MY CRY: Vocabulary Crossword—Fun Way to Learn New Words! Students provide synonyms for challenging words from the story. Good extra credit activity!
• ROLL OF THUNDER, HEAR MY CRY: Figurative Language Crossword—Fun! Students use their knowledge of the story, their knowledge of language, and their imaginations to complete these clues. All are examples of similes, metaphors, hyperbole, etc., from the story! A great way to approach figurative language!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!