A CRYPTOCATEGORY word puzzle is a category of items followed by a coded list. These cryptocategories are categories of items from ROLL OF THUNDER, HEAR MY CRY. Below each category is a coded list of words from the book that fall under the categories.
For example, under the category of Names might be "Tom," "Dick," and "Harry." "A" might stand for "T," "Y" might stand for "O," "F" might stand for "M," so AYF would decode as TOM. Some hints have been provided, and each category has its own code; items within a category all follow that code. NOTE: Cryptocategories are specific to the book. Please see preview.
* Mr. Morrison
* Plants in the Story
* Local Life
* The Fire
CRYPTOCATEGORIES require students to use their knowledge of
ROLL OF THUNDER, HEAR MY CRY and their knowledge of
SPELLING, PHONICS, VOCABULARY, and LANGUAGE!
Elementary editions of Cryptocategories:
* Bridge to Terabithia
* The Cay
* Island of the Blue Dolphins
* Julie of the Wolves
* Maniac Magee
* Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
* The Sign of the Beaver
* Summer of the Monkeys
* Where the Red Fern Grows
***Perfect filler activities for after tests, between lessons, or at the end of the day!***
Below are more unique products over ROLL OF THUNDER, HEAR MY CRY. View all 15 in my store!
• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry edition of Bookmarks Plus—A Handy Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy readin
• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry Trivia Game ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game! 250 questions!
• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry: 50-word Prereading Crossword--Fun! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword—Fun! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry: Reading-for-Detail Crossword—Good Objective Review! A great way to check students’ reading skills!
• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry: 10 Word Merges—One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry: 10 Cryptograms—Encoded Quotations! Students decode quotations from the story! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry: 5 Novel-Based Word Searches Categories: Characters; Locations; Critters in the Story; Great Faith Elementary; Southern Fixin’s
• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry: 10 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Unique! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry: 5 Fill-In Word Puzzles—Good Trial-and-Error Workout! Students enter common words from the story into the puzzle grid, based on the number of letters in the word. The puzzle can be challenging, but each time students enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry: 6 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique! Students decode lists of categorized words from the book! Categories: Mr. Morrison; Plants in the Story; Onomatopoeias; Stacey; Local Life; The Fire;
• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry: Anagram Crossword Puzzle—Challenging! Students decipher common terms from the novel! The puzzle can be challenging, but, as with all crosswords, almost every time they enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry: Vocabulary Crossword—Fun Way to Learn New Words! Students provide synonyms for challenging words from the story. Good extra credit activity!
• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry: Figurative Language Crossword—Fun! Students use their knowledge of the story, their knowledge of language, and their imaginations to complete these clues. All are examples of similes, metaphors, hyperbole, etc., from the story! A great way to approach figurative language!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!