NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used after students have read the book.
Students solve this crossword by providing synonyms and antonyms for 25 vocabulary words from ROLL OF THUNDER, HEAR MY CRY. Each clue contains a vocabulary word and the sentence it is used in from the book.
Examples of clues:
* Jack, he was real SKITTISH ’cause of the storm. (syn.) ANSWER: nervous
* I crept PRECARIOUSLY near the edge of the high porch... (ant.) ANSWER: safely
* “I tell ya, Stacey, man,” said T.J. MOROSELY, shaking his head, “sometimes I just don’t know ’bout that family of yours.” (ant.) ANSWER: sadly
* Papa rubbed his moustache and looked up at the trees standing like SENTINELS on the edge of the hollow… (syn.)
More challenging—and fun!—than a typical vocabulary crossword!
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
The 25 words in this puzzle are also listed and defined on the ROLL OF THUNDER, HEAR MY CRY edition of Bookmarks Plus. See list below.
Also, these 25 words are contained in my ROLL OF THUNDER, HEAR MY CRY Prereading Crossword, which includes 50 challenging words students will run across in the book. See list below.
USE ALL THREE TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Below are my fun and unique products over ROLL OF THUNDER, HEAR MY CRY
View all 15 in my store!
• Bookmarks Plus: Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry—A Handy Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy readin
• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry Trivia Game ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game! 250 questions!
• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry: 50-word Prereading Crossword--Fun! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword—Fun! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry: Reading-for-Detail Crossword—Good Objective Review! A great way to check students’ reading skills!
• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry: 10 Word Merges—One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry: 10 Cryptograms—Encoded Quotations! Students decode quotations from the story! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry: 5 Novel-Based Word Searches Categories: Characters; Locations; Critters in the Story; Great Faith Elementary; Southern Fixin’s
• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry: 10 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Unique! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry: 5 Fill-In Word Puzzles—Good Trial-and-Error Workout! Students enter common words from the story into the puzzle grid, based on the number of letters in the word. The puzzle can be challenging, but each time students enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry: 6 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique! Students decode lists of categorized words from the book! Categories: Mr. Morrison; Plants in the Story; Onomatopoeias; Stacey; Local Life; The Fire;
• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry: Anagram Crossword Puzzle—Challenging! Students decipher common terms from the novel! The puzzle can be challenging, but, as with all crosswords, almost every time they enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry: Vocabulary Crossword—Fun Way to Learn New Words! Students provide synonyms for challenging words from the story. Good extra credit activity!
• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry: Figurative Language Crossword—Fun! Students use their knowledge of the story, their knowledge of language, and their imaginations to complete these clues. All are examples of similes, metaphors, hyperbole, etc., from the story! A great way to approach figurative language!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!