Go beyond the basic journaling assignment and get your students to interact with key scenes from the novel on a deeper level in order to meet Common Core State Standards. Perfect companion piece for your Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry unit!
Also available in my complete Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry 4-week Unit package!
• Pre-Reading: Informational Text piece: “Too Often, We’re Mute on Race”
• EIGHT Close Reading Literature lessons (use in place of journal assignments) using text from the novel; covers multiple chapters and requires text dependent answers from students
• Informative/Explanatory Writing prompt: “Fear and Respect”
• Narrative Writing prompt: Character Analysis & Imitation
• Poetry Close reading: “The Lovesong of Emmett Till”
• Marking and interacting with the text
• Making inferences
• Citing evidence
• Evidence-based responses
• Literary Device analysis
• Character analysis
Created by The House of Roush for use in the middle school classroom. Using the close reading sheets for chapter discussions has brought my students to a whole new level of comprehension and analysis of the novel. All these activities can be done in class or can be given out as a companion packet for students to complete at home prior to class time.