This stimulating and comprehensive lesson enables students to read and fully understand the Roman numerals system up to 1,000, recognise years written in Roman numerals, and complete a variety of sums written in Roman numerals.
The lesson follows a step-by-step learning journey, in which children learn through:
- Learning the origins and the basic rules of Roman Numerals through clear and simple explanations;
- Demonstrating their understanding through well-differentiated application and challenge activities;
- Applying their understanding to complete sums and scribe important historical dates using Roman numerals;
- Gauging their own understanding through both AfL activities and self-reflection tasks.
- Whole lesson PowerPoint - clear and precise, colourful and comprehensive;
- Bronze, Silver, and Gold level award worksheets - carefully differentiated and provided in both Word and PDF;
- Teacher answer sheets;
- A help-sheet to support students who find the subject content more difficult;
- A detailed teacher lesson plan.
There are also opportunities for group learning, speaking and listening, peer assessment, and whole class discussion. I originally used these resources with year 5 and 6 classes, however colleagues have used them for between years 3 and 9 with minimal adaptations.
All images are licensed for commercial use, and image rights are listed on the last page of the presentation.