Word Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This worksheet will give students an opportunity to learn about some of the key aspects of the Roman Republic by solving 10 riddles. Students should write out their answer to the riddle, then the teacher should provide an explanation of what it mean and how it relates to the government of the Roman Republic.
1. Plebes (or Plebeian) - lower class of Ancient Rome
2. Purple Togas (Tyrian purple color, uniforms) - worn by the upper class (Patricians), Senators, or wealthy Romans
3. Senators (hockey team) - main representatives in the Roman Republic
4. Consuls (PS3 gaming consoles) - two highest ranking officials in the Roman Senate
5. Curia (Madame Curie + a) - meeting place of the Roman Senate
6. 12 Tables - laws that supported the Plebeian class in Rome
7. Cincinnatus (Cincinnati Bengals - eye + us) - model dictator in Rome who, according to legend, served as dictator for 15 days, won a war, and returned back to his farm afterward.
8. SPQR - motto of the Republic that stands for the Senate and People of Rome, emphasizing the importance of the elected representatives
9. The Die is Cast - motto meaning that Julius Caesar made a decision to invade Rome which started a civil war, and there was no going back from this decision
10. Assassination of Julius Caesar (Caesar Salad + 23 knives) - Julius Caesar was stabbed 23 times in the curia by his fellow senators for apparently becoming too much like a tyrant or king; some historians mark this decision as the end of the Republic and beginning of the Roman Empire