This is a ten-lesson unit of work based on reading and writing instructions.
The ten lessons in this unit aim to give children the opportunity to understand the features of instructions as a genre. In the first week, children will engage with the text type by following instructions to make edible Roman roads out of biscuits, chocolates and custard! There is also a grammar focus on using prepositions and imperative verbs. In the second week, pupils will use drama to develop ideas and extend their vocabulary. They will then plan their own set of instructions about becoming gladiator champions and they will then have the opportunity to draft, edit and present their final instructions.
The literacy objectives covered in this unit are:
- To give and follow verbal instructions
- To use prepositions
- To read and follow written instructions
- To identify how language, structure and presentation contribute to meaning
- To use a range of imperative verbs
- To prepare a group performance
- To make a plan for my writing
- To write my own instructions
- To edit my writing
- To make decisions about how to present my writing
The PDF file contains ten lesson plans and all accompanying pupil resources.