Roman Web quest
1) TOUR OF ROME. Watch the following video (you will need my passcode). The video is ~5 mins long.
• Write down 15 things you see. Then go on the internet and tell me the significance of that to Roman culture (why was it built? When was it built? For what purpose?
2) ROMAN AQUEDUCTS: http://www.historyforkids.org/learn/romans/architecture/aqueducts.htm
A. Why were they built?
B. Draw and aqueduct?
C. What could be a modern example of an aqueduct today?
3) ROMAN ROADS http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/roman_roads.htm
A. What was the purpose(s) of the Roman Roads?
B. How were they built?
C. Who built the roads?
4) MORE ON ROMAN ROADS http://rome.mrdonn.org/romanroads.html
A. How did the British use Roman roads?
5) THE ROMAN COLISEUM http://www.historyforkids.org/learn/romans/architecture/colosseum.htm
A. When was it built? Why?
B. What happened with Nero’s things? Why?
6) CONCRETE http://www.historyforkids.org/learn/architecture/concrete.htm
A. How was Concrete made?
B. For what purpose?
7) THE ROMAN COLLISEUM. You can watch the video OR read about it. http://www.history.com/topics/ancient-history/colosseum
A. Where was it located in Rome?
B. When was it constructed?
C. Who constructed it?
D. How many floors did it have? How many arches?
E. How many people were seated within the Coliseum?
F. What was below the Coliseum? What was the purpose?
G. How many animals died?
H. How did it collapse?
8) COLLISEUM AND GAMES http://www.history.com/topics/ancient-history/colosseum/videos/games-in-the-coliseum
A. Describe the games played
B. Who were gladiators?
9) GLADIATORS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTX3vm_rhvs
A. What was Gladius used for?
B. Describe the training Gladiators received
C. What did gladiator’s attire represent?
D. What is a gladiator’s chance of dying? Why?
10) GLADIATORS CONTINUED… http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/interactive/games/gladiator/index_embed.shtml
Play this gladiator game. Arm your gladiator
A. How many battles did you win? Loose?
B. What does thumbs up by Emperor Mean? What does thumbs down mean?
11) PANTHEON… http://www.pbslearningmedia.org/asset/phy03_vid_bbdome/
A. What is the benefit of the dome design on the Pantheon?
B. Who was the Pantheon built for?
C. Explain the physics that makes the dome on the Pantheon possible.
D. What are step-rings and why were they necessary?
E. What is the oculus? Why was it necessary?
11) THE PAX ROMANA (use any website)
A. What does Pax Romana Mean?
B. Name five Emperors during this time period and tell their legacy. Was it good or bad?
C. Look at Roman Realism during the Pax Romana. What are the statues about? Describe two
D. What are frescos?
E. What are mosaics?
F. Describe Blown glass during the pax romana. What was it used for? Where can you find this today?
G. Look at Cameos from the pax Romana. Who did they often portray?
H. Describe the Vaulted Ceilings. Where can you see this today?
I. Look at the Goddess of Justice during the Roman Empire? Who was she? What was her purpose? Where do you see this today?
J. Name Five achievements that occurred during the Pax Romana
12) SPARTACUS SLAVE REVOLT http://ancienthistory.about.com/cs/slavesandslavery/a/spartacus.htm
A. Who was Spartacus?
B. What did he do? Why did he do it?
C. What was the effect?
Imagine you were a person living in during the pax Romana. How would you dress? What entertainment would you have? What would your home look like? What would you see when you walked outside your door? What would you do for fun? Explain all in a journal entry. Should be about one page