Looking for no-prep handouts on Act 1 of Romeo and Juliet that will get your students to understand the most important details and themes of the play?
For most students, Romeo and Juliet is their first experience with a Shakespeare play, and so it is essential that they have the scaffolding they need to understand the challenging language.
Included in this resource: handouts with questions for close reading and discussion on every scene in Act 1; suggestions for interactive notebook activities for every scene; two different versions of the quiz which includes short answers, quote identifications, and short essay prompts; and extensive answer keys for all of the questions and the quizzes.
I have been teaching Shakespeare with the methods explained here since 2004, and they have proven to work with all levels of classes.
When you teach Act 1 of Romeo and Juliet with this resource you will:
• fulfill common core requirements with these no-prep lesson
• have multiple options for different learning styles and interactive notebook activities
• engage your classes in a rigorous discussion by using the ready-to-go discussion questions
• establish calming and focusing daily routines by following the suggestions included here
• see a noted improvement in your students’ close reading skills when they utilize the scaffolding and questions included here
• easily go over the questions using the extensive answer key which quotes all relevant passages so that you have everything you need to help students find the answers themselves
• challenge your students to think about the author’s choices
• curb cheating by utilizing two different versions of the quiz
• quickly and efficiently grade your students’ work by using the included rubrics and tips
There are no lectures or power points here—students will do the work themselves, with guidance from you. Rather than telling them what the play means, you will be empowering them with the confidence and skills to tackle challenging texts on their own.