Looking for a fresh approach to pull your students into Romeo and Juliet? William Shakespeare’s timeless tale of tragic love will enthrall your students when you use this collection of five weeks of lesson materials designed to challenge and entertain advanced middle school students and high school freshmen/sophomores.
This Romeo & Juliet unit is one of my favorites of the year. I’ve used it successfully with eighth graders and both regular and honors freshmen.
This bundle includes:
• A day-by-day calendar to follow with helpful details and suggested pacing (read this file first when you open the zipped bundle)
• Scene-by-scene Romeo & Juliet study question handouts
• Life in Elizabethan England team speech assignment with list of 18 topics and grading rubric
• Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre Prezi lecture with extra-credit Globe construction “craftivity”
• Light-hearted Puns/Oxymorons presentation to help familiarize students with Shakespeare’s commonly used literary technique
• Power of Tone presentation with interactive elements that will allow for 27 different students to have an opportunity to briefly entertain the class as they learn about tone and line delivery
• Attention-grabbing Shakespearean Sonnet lecture and creative writing assignment handouts
• One-Question Romeo & Juliet Quizzers to hold students accountable for their reading, while making grading easy for you
• Shakespearean Slam Contest where students insult and/or compliment each other using the Bard’s own words – this one’s noisy and fun!
• Queen Mab art assignment to illustrate Mercutio’s Act 1, Sc. 4 monologue (with links to student art samples)
• Romeo & Juliet Act 2 Prologue team of two activity
• Plot the timeline of Romeo and Juliet’s love affair as a helpful review of play's chronology
• Romeo & Juliet quote review challenge – break your class into Montagues vs. Capulets!
• 50-question unit exam (matching, true/false, quote identification)
• In-class end-of-unit essay prompts
All materials come with complete answer keys. This bundle includes a total of 72 pages (PDF) of rich content, plus 29 PowerPoint slides (puns and tone) and 48 Prezi slides (sonnets and Globe) of visually dynamic materials to “wow” your class. Please note that, due to the large file size, the Prezi materials come with links for online viewing/use. You do not need special software to run a Prezi, but your classroom will need internet access.
Note: Some of these items (the scene-by-scene study guide handouts, Globe Theatre materials, Shakespearean Sonnet materials, Quizzers, Slam Contest, Act 2 Prologue, and Timeline) are sold separately at my store. No need to purchase these items separately if you grab this budget-priced bundle. The numerous other items are not sold separately and can be purchased only as part of this bundle. There is some overlap in products featured here and in my unit bundle for A Midsummer Night's Dream. Feel free to contact me at email@example.com to help you decide the most budget-minded way to purchase materials from both unit plans.
Interested in more information about individual products?
Also, this bundle is included in my English 9-10 full-year curriculum. If you already own the full-year download, please do not purchase this item here individually. If you’d like to receive this item plus everything else needed to teach 180 days of English 9 or English 10 at a deeply discounted price, click here to learn more about the full-year curriculum download.
Thanks for stopping by!
Cover image credit: Pexels, Public domain