This creative Romeo and Juliet Costume Design Project includes an editable powerpoint and all necessary student handouts for your students to create and design costumes for their own original setting and interpretation of Shakespeare's classic tragedy.
This product contains:
1. A student assignment sheet that lists project requirements and allows space for students to fill out deadlines and grading.
2. A planning sheet for students to draft their ideas for setting and costumes.
3. Costume design templates for students who need support with figure drawing
4. An editable 12 slide powerpoint presentation that introduces the importance of costume design, shows examples of costume designs from Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo and Juliet and the film version of West Side Story, and gives model renderings and designer statements using student work from this project.
5. A rubric to assess students’ costume design projects on a 4 point scale using the criteria of Creativity, Color, Character Development, and Explanation.
A costume design project encourages students to interpret the text and demonstrate a deeper understanding of Romeo and Juliet. This project allows visual learners to demonstrate their knowledge and analysis of the play and provides students who may be reluctant to read out loud or perform in class with an opportunity to show their creative skills.
I like to allow three class days for this assignment: one day in class to explain and discuss the assignment, one day to draft and sketch, and then one day to present the costume designs after students have had time to complete their projects on their own. You can adapt this schedule depending on the needs of your students and how much class time you wish to dedicate to the project.
12 powerpoint slides, 5 pages of handouts