Working with themes present in William Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet", students relate events in the Elizabethan play to popular music that contain similar themes.
By combining quotes and textual evidence from "Romeo and Juliet", and comparative evidence from popular lyrics, students demonstrate their knowledge of Shakespeare's play, and have a chance to present their "Mashups" to the class in the form of an interactive PowerPoint.
* Teacher PowerPoint presentation to introduce the assignment (.pptx)
* Grading Rubric (.pdf)
* Student Planning Sheet (.docx)
* Three Sample Student Mashups (.pptx)
* Romantic love can be beautiful and ennobling.
* Passion can overtake reason and common sense.
* Immaturity and inexperience can lead to tragic endings.
* Judge people by their character and personal qualities, not by their name or social standing.
* Innocent children sometimes pay for the sins of their parents.
* Fate acts through human folly.
All rights reserved.
Jessica Sirman & Sirman Link
Romeo and Juliet Final Project "Mashup"
by Jessica Sirman & Sirman Link
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License