This fun & kinesthetic lesson is the perfect way to help your students prepare to read Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.
In this lesson, students move around the classroom or space to preview 20 key quotes from Act I of the play. By reading the quotes and collecting the information they learn, students will begin to understand the main characters and relationships before they ever crack open their books. And they'll have fun doing it!
This resource includes all the following:
• A detailed lesson plan with CCSS-aligned learning targets and several options for delivering the lesson (all fun, kinesthetic, & engaging!).
• 20 key quotes from Act I of the play, in two different sizes (for portrait or landscape printing).
• A 2-page handout for students.
• An answer key.
This lesson gives students a "feel" for Shakespearean English while gently building endurance and stamina for reading complex text.
This activity addresses the following Common-Core learning targets:
• I can preview Act I of Romeo & Juliet to prepare for reading and/or viewing.
• I can use reading strategies to help me read and understand Shakespeare.
Cheers to you and your students!
Keywords: Romeo and Juliet; William Shakespeare; Shakespearian English; lesson plans; common core; literature; drama; printables; learning targets; worksheets; handouts; fun; kinesthetic