Learning through music is an approach that appeals to so many students! These activities link grammar concepts with Shakespeare's tragedy Romeo and Juliet through ten song lyrics each with a set of grammatical questions. Intended as a 10-minute starting activity for each class period, students listen to a song as they answer the questions about grammar concepts within the lyrics. Students can also discuss how each song fits the characters, events, and themes of the play!
*Bell-Ringers for 10 Class Periods!
*Review Activity and Quiz Included!
*Link Your Grammar Review with the Play!
*Attractive, Student-Friendly Handouts with Images!
*Classroom Tested -- I Use These Every Year!
This activity pack includes the following:
• Student Notes Handout with All Grammar Concepts
• Teacher Notes Share How I Use These Resources in My Classroom
• Student Handouts – 10 Songs Related to Romeo and Juliet with Grammar Questions for Each
• Quiz Using 2 Additional Songs
• Links to All Songs on YouTube
• Review Carousel Activity to Get Students Up and Moving!
• BONUS Review Handout on Verbals, Direct/Indirect Objects, and Subject Complements
• Answer Keys to ALL Handouts and Quiz
• Handouts Included in Both Word and PDF Formats
Grammatical Concepts Covered:
- Parts of Speech
- Command / Request Sentences and the "Understood You"
- Types of Clauses
- Prepositional Phrases
- Action Verbs, Indirect Objects, and Direct Objects
- Linking Verbs and Subject Complements (Predicate Adjective and Predicate Nominative)
- Verbals (Participles, Gerunds, and Infinitives)
- Other Literary Terms Like Allusion, Stanza, and Hyperbole
NOTE: Links to songs on YouTube MAY change and access to actual song recordings is dependent on availability on the web. These are NOT needed to complete the activity with your students, however.