Romeo and Juliet Pre-reading Carousel Discussion
→ Editable files!
Better than a worksheet! Here is a pre-reading activity designed to get your students out of their seats to move, talk, think, and write. They will travel around the classroom or in the hallway to read several posters including statements designed to generate strong agreements and disagreements. Working with a partner, students will come to a consensus, leaving a statement of agreement or disagreement with an explanation.
Following the Carousel Discussion, students will be assigned one poster along with its responses. They will then review each of the responses and determine the trend in thinking. They will participate in a debriefing discussion with the class to share their thoughts and realizations. I love this activity because it requires every student to be actively engaged—no one gets to hide in the background or check out!
This activity is also a part of my Romeo and Juliet Activity Mini-Bundle
. Check out this great bundle for a savings of over 30%!
This lesson is classroom-tested and include the following:
A teacher lesson plan with…
• Common Core objectives
• preparation steps
• a classroom agenda
• assessment strategies
A PowerPoint with…
• student-friendly objectives
• student directions
• activity time limits
• Romeo and Juliet Activity Bundle
• Romeo and Juliet Digital Lock Box Escape Room Game
• Romeo and Juliet Fancy Lunch--Analysis of Shakespeare's Craft in Act I
• Romeo and Juliet QR Mini Flip
• Romeo and Juliet Review Game
• Romeo and Juliet Themes Textual Analysis Activity
• Romeo and Juliet Fishbowl Debate