Use this free product to help your students get to know their new environment. You will have to make up the questions as they fit your classroom, but this will give you a good idea of things they can hunt for within the room.
As an additional bonus, it gives you a sense of their
- reading skills (Can they read the questions?)
- writing skills (What is their spelling like? Can they copy down words in their environment?)
- cooperation with others
- ability to follow the rules (if silent)
- comfort level with the classroom at that point
- curiosity of things (What do they gravitate to?)
This is especially great to use in the beginning days of school if it is too hot or rainy to go outside for recess. Students will be actively moving around the room and exploring.
TIP: Try to space out the things they are looking for. If everything is at the reading center, all of your students will be there too.
TIP: Before beginning, circle/highlight a number on each page. As you pass these out, students should start where theirs is marked.
TIP: Challenge your students to do this silently and on their own!
TIP: If necessary, your students can work with a partner, taking turns as to who writes the answer. This is a great strategy for EL students.
This usually takes 30-45 minutes for my 2nd graders to complete.