This is a book companion packet for the book Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson. It's a darling story about a witch on a broom who keeps dropping things! It's a perfect story for October and Halloween.
(NOTE: This packet is in no way affiliated with the book or the author, nor does it include the book with purchase. You must have access to the book in order to use this packet).
This packet is designed to focus on teaching vocabulary within the context of a story. We all know how hard it is to choose, measure, and teach vocabulary in an engaging and effective manner. I personally believe that helping our students improve their vocabulary is one of the best ways to improve their overall communication skills. I’m very passionate about vocabulary, and I wanted an excellent resource to help me teach it. I wanted something that helps me easily measure what is learned, is engaging, and is taught in an age-appropriate context. This is why I created this packet!
Contents & Instructions: This packet contains 45 pages full of activities to target vocabulary. There are activities for antonyms, synonyms, multiple meaning words, curriculum vocabulary, prepositional phrases, regular past tense verbs, and irregular past tense verbs. All of the vocabulary was chosen from the book, and is appropriate for 1st and 2nd grade students.
• Page 5: A complete list of all of the vocabulary words targeted in the packet.
• Pages 6: A pre/post-test for assessing knowledge of target vocabulary words. Two date boxes are included that allows you to give a pre and post assessment on the same set of 10 target words. The assessment sheet included corresponding Common Core Standards for each target area.
• Page 7: An easy data-tracking sheet to help you keep track whether or not a child is acquiring understanding of a target word over time.
• Page 8: Comprehension questions worksheet. Ten questions are provided to target comprehension of the book.
• Pages 9-10: Sequencing cut-n’-paste activity.
• Pages 11-22: Homework/worksheets for antonyms, synonyms, multiple meaning words, and regular & irregular past tense verbs. Each homework sheet includes instructions and corresponding Common Core Standards for the target area.
• Pages 23-42: An activity card game for each of the target areas. Each card contains a number value in the upper right-hand corner for score keeping. Each card is also labeled in the corner for easy sorting.
o Instructions: Print, cut out, and laminate cards. Choose which decks to play with. You can give each child a deck of their own to target specific goals, or you can combine all of the decks together to target overall vocabulary/language skills. If playing with more than one deck, you may want to print out the 6 extra game cards for each deck. Hand out appropriate decks to the children. Each child takes a turn by drawing a card. If they answer the question correctly, they keep the card. At the end of the time, or when all of the cards are gone, count up the points. The student with the most points wins!
o The following are the activity cards included in the packet:
31 Antonym cards
14 Synonym cards
17 Multiple Meaning cards
15 Curriculum Vocabulary cards
12 Regular Past Tense Cards
6 Irregular Past Tense Cards
6 Extra Game Cards (ie: Lose a Card & Take Another Turn)
6 Blank Cards
• Page 43: An open-ended board game to go along with the book
• Pages 44-45: Prepositional phrases activity board and pictures. The activity board is a landscape scene to match the book. Page 37 includes pictures of all of the characters. Cut out the pictures on page 37. Use those pictures on the activity board to help elicit prepositional phrase sentences. An example of a target sentence is, “The cat is on the mountain.”
Please don't forget to leave feedback! You can visit my blog at thespeechclinic.wordpress.com/blog for more therapy ideas and activities!