Also included in
- Teach reading comprehension when your students are at home during Covid-19 school closures or distance learning. NO PREP video teaches the reading strategy. Upload the independent work packet to your Google Classroom for Distance LearningModify the Google Docs and Google Slideshow to fit your classr$11.00$22.00Save $11.00
- 6 Reading Comprehension packages. Slideshow lesson, handouts, posters, detailed lesson plans, and YouTube video lessons. Distance Learning and 1:1 Google Classroom ready! Teach your students reading comprehension strategies to help them actively engage with the text (instead of just passively soundi$28.00$56.00Save $28.00
Reading comprehension article handout (differentiated Gr 4, 6, 8) about Rosa Parks focusing on her conversation with the bus driver as an example of assertive communication. Includes sample answers.
High-interest NO PREP independent work packet about Rosa Parks' assertive communication. We often talk about Rosa Parks during Black History Month, however, we can learn from her example of “quiet courage, dignity and determination” at any time.
Upload to your Google Classroom™ for Distance Learning Reading Comprehension.
Rosa Parks is famous for her role in the US civil rights movement. We talk about her strength of character to refuse to give up her seat because she was Black. In this article, we focus on the moment on the bus when she told the bus driver that she wasn’t going to give up her seat.
The take-away message is that assertive communication requires courageously addressing conflict in a respectful way that does not cross your personal boundaries. It’s hard because you might be all alone at the time, and even if you are assertive, it doesn’t always work out for you.
This article comes in 3 differentiated reading levels:
- File 4A. Grade 6
- File 4B. Grade 8
- File 4C. Grade 4
NOTE: Reading grade levels are approximate.
- I used Hemingway Editor to re-write each paragraph for the different grade levels:
- Hemingway determines the “grade level” of your text using the Automated Readability Index. Although there are many different readability formulas that calculate different grades, bottom line is there are 3 different versions of the article.
- EACH BODY PARAGRAPH in the article is numbered. All 3 differentiated versions of the articles contain the same paragraph structure. (So paragraph 1 has the same facts in all three reading levels.)
ROSA PARKS: Quiet Courage in Communication
This package includes
- Informational Text article written at 3 different reading levels
- a mini lesson on communication and communication styles
- 5 discussion questions with SAMPLE ANSWERS
- a paragraph response package with brainstorming handout and rubric
- SAMPLE ANSWERS using the reading comprehension strategy Asking Questions
✅ OPTION 1: DISTANCE LEARNING with GOOGLE CLASSROOM
Create an assignment in your Google Classroom
Attach this link so students can view the slideshow:
- Slideshow includes quick talking points from the article, discussion questions, and a video to watch.
Create a copy of the reading article for each student (FILE #4)
- There are 3 different reading levels (4a, 4b, 4c).
- Choose the one that is appropriate for your class.
- You can use a higher or lower reading level for students based on ability.
- Students answer the discussion questions directly in the Google Doc™
OPTIONAL: Create a copy of the paragraph response Google Docs (FILE #5)
- Students fill out the brainstorming graphic organizer (double-entry journal)
- Students write a paragraph to one of the discussion questions
✅ OPTION 2: NO PREP Independent Work Packet
Print the NO PREP PDF (FILE #0)
- It includes everything you need for this reading article at the middle grade level (Grade 8)
- If you need a different grade level, just print the appropriate PDFs. (FILE #4a, 4b, or 4c)
✅ OPTION 3: FACE to FACE Learning / If you want to EDIT the files
- Modify the Google Slides™ or Google Docs to fit your specific classroom needs.
- Teach using the Google Slideshow (FILE #3)
- Give students a copy of the reading article (FILE #4a, 4b, or 4c)
- OPTIONAL: Give students a copy of the paragraph response (FILE #5)
✅ For more information visit
- Slideshow includes quick talking points from the article, discussion questions, and video.
- Includes links to the references cited in this article.
BONUS READING STRATEGY VIDEO LESSON:
- This article goes well with the reading comprehensions strategy called ASKING QUESTIONS.
- Here's a FREE YouTube VIDEO for students that explains the strategy. (This way it's easier to teach with DISTANCE LEARNING)
SAVE TIME and MONEY!!! This article is included in a bundle:
- (Critical Thinking)
- (Creativity) - THIS LESSON
- (Assertive Communication)
ABOUT our Learning Articles
Our 21st Century Learning Articles give you information about an issue that you can discuss with your students.
- The lesson slideshow includes talking points and discussion questions on our Educircles website.
- A student handout package is available for download from our TpT store.
- This includes printable handouts of the informational text at three different reading levels in PDF and Google Docs format.
- BONUS: When we publish a new learning article, it can be downloaded for FREE for a limited time to people who subscribe to our email newsletter on Educircles.org - click here for
This package includes several files in a Google Drive™ folder.
- The files are numbered in the order that you need them.
- You need a Google account to be able to add the package folder to your Google Drive
According to :
- TpT will give Buyers an “Add to Google Drive” button.
- Upon tapping that, TpT will make a unique copy of your file/folder and add it to the Buyer’s Google Drive, so each Buyer has a different link unique to that Buyer.
This lesson is linked to the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) as well as the Province of Ontario Language Arts Curriculum.
The preview file shows you screenshot and thumbnail previews of exactly what you get in this product.