Starr Books' Rosie the Reindeer and Her Alphabet Friends is an alphabet book that aids youngsters not only in letter recognition but also reading, number recognition, counting, and the American manual alphabet.
Each page of Rosie the Reindeer and Her Alphabet Friends features one letter of the alphabet and includes
• the uppercase and lowercase letters, which can serve as models for youngsters to copy as they learn the alphabet.
• the American manual alphabet hand sign. Practicing the hand sign can help youngsters with manual dexterity and can be used to practice spelling. Many youngsters find using sign language a fun experience and enjoy communicating with signs. Learning the American manual alphabet can be a springboard to learning American Sign Language.
• an alliterative sentence featuring the letter. The alliteration used in the book provides youngsters the opportunity to practice pronouncing the sound each letter makes. Parents and children can carry the idea further by making lists of words that begin with the letter featured on the page. Beginning readers will find the alliteration an aid in reading the sentences.
• the numeral for the position of the letter in the alphabet and an equal number of stars, which allow for practicing number recognition, number order, and counting.
• a bright illustration designed to grab the attention of new readers. Parents can talk to their children about the animals and other objects in the picture. Children may enjoy trying to draw the pictures themselves or find other ways to illustrate the sentence on the page.
For beginning readers, the book can also be used to learn the parts of speech as each page features proper and common nouns, a verb, and an adjective or adverb as well as articles and prepositions. Subject and object nouns can also be discussed. (The inside back cover of the book gives some examples of these parts of speech and some other categories of words found in the book.)
The book includes a list of questions about the content of the book, and children of all ages were enthusiastic about answering the questions.
Visit the Rosie the Reindeer and Her Alphabet Friends website: www.rosiereindeer.com.