PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This is a super fun way to get your students reading CVC words that have the short a sound!
There are 42 Short A CVC Pumpkin Word Cards and 5 "Rotten Pumpkin" cards!
ROTTEN PUMPKINS DIRECTIONS
•Copy all of the pages on heavy weight white paper.
•Cut out all of the pumpkin cards.
•Laminate the cards and reading mats.
•Place the cvc cards and the rotten pumpkin cards in a plastic trick or treat
pumpkin and mix them all up!
•If you have a timer, use it to keep track of when the game is done!
•There are four“I can read....”mats for children to place their cards on. If you have more than four players, you can just use an orange piece of paper for each child.
1. Children will draw a pumpkin card from the trick or treat basket.
2. If they can read the card, they can keep the card and place it on their “I can read the short a words!” mat.
3. If they can’t read it, they must put it back inside the pumpkin.
4. If they draw a “rotten pumpkin”card....they have to put all of the cards back in the trick or treat basket.
5. Players keep playing and collecting cards until the time is up.
6. Whoever has the most cards when the time is up.... is the winner!
Small Group Literacy Activity