Through this activity, Share Two and Take Two, students understand the place value system from ones, tens, hundreds, thousands, ten-thousands, hundred-thousands, millions, ten-millions, hundred-millions, to billions.
1. Cut the cards and distribute one card per student
2. On each card, students round each whole number to the place of the underlined digit and write the rounded number in word form.
3. If a student receives a blank card, the student creates his/her own whole number and underline a digit, round the number, and write the number in word form.
4. With a teacher's signal, students walk around and share two facts about his/her rounded whole number with others and take two facts about other students' whole numbers.
5. Students continue to Share Two and Take Two (playing appropriate music might be helpful).