Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
This zip file contains two word documents. They are both running record templates. One is for fiction stories and the other is for non-fiction stories. I use these to assess students reading levels during guided reading groups. Both sheets come with generic questions that any teacher can ask to see how well the students think within, about and beyond the text. Example questions are, but are not limited to:
- What problem did the character have in the story? How did they solve their problem? (Thinking Within)
- How did the character change in the story? Does this book remind you of another text? (Thinking Beyond)
- Is this a good title for the story? What was the author's message? Would you recommend this story to a friend? Why? (Thinking About)
- What can you learn from this (diagram, illustration, photo, etc.)? What new information did you learn from this book. (Thinking Within)
- What did this book make you think about? What is a (vocabulary word)? What questions do you still have? (Thinking Beyond)
- How were ..... alike/different? What did the writer do in the beginning to get you interested in the topic? (Thinking About)
Both running records have a scoring guideline for each comprehension section. Students are scored on a scale of 1 - (very weak) to 4 - (very strong).
This template gives you the freedom to choose the section of the book to use for the running record, how many words you want to use, and what questions you want to ask them. Once you print one for a book, place a copy with it and you will always have it on hand and ready to go!
I hope you enjoy using this helpful tool to assess accuracy, words per minute and comprehension!