Ruth and the Green Book by Calvin Ramsey is a fictional story about a girl named Ruth who travels with her family from Chicago to Alabama. On their journey, Ruth finds out that travel is much different for “Negro” people than it is for white people. She discovers a book that was beneficial to African Americans during that time period. She also realizes the ugly truth about segregation.
- Prezi- A 3D Lesson plan that is similar to powerpoint, with a 3D effect.
- Lesson Plan in PDF format
A. Common Core Aligned
B. Teaches Summary and Theme
C. Includes background information
D. Modeling, guided practice, and independent practice.
- 2 Vocabulary Practice sheet (five words per sheet)
- 1 Graphic Organizer (Summary and Theme)
- Comprehension Quiz with ten questions. Answer key included.
- 4 Activities to extend the lesson:
A. Map Activity
B. Create a Collage Rubric
C. Create a Diorama Rubric
D. Green Book Fact File Template
Go to Laura Randazzo’s TpT store and download her FREE step by step guide to open a Prezi.