This is a fantastic mini-unit about the Rwandan Genocide! Students will:
1) Learn about the background of the Rwandan Genocide by reading and comparing different news outlets and how they reported on the events.
2) Work in groups and take on the role of a nation or organization involved in Rwanda, ultimately leading to press conferences
3) Watch the movie "Hotel Rwanda"
4) Read about the critics of the film and its main character Paul Rusesabagina
5) Write a small essay where they decide for themselves based on everything they've learned if Paul was truly a hero or not.