The SAT Essay requires students to closely examine an argument essay, noting the effectiveness of an author’s use of specific rhetorical devices. In this overview lecture and three full-hour lessons with optional extension writing activities, students will learn about the SAT Essay requirements, read argument essays on modern issues, and discover how skilled writers use a variety of rhetorical tools to support their positions.
Begin with a 24-slide introductory lecture, explaining what the College Board expects from students who want to earn high scores on the SAT Essay. Follow up with three separate reinforcement lessons in which students read a two-page argument essay (full text from sources included with permission) and answer guiding questions that require them to dig back into the text as they identify specific literary devices and rhetorical tools. Detailed answer keys are included to not only ease grading, but also help guide class discussion of the answers.
Finally, this bundle also includes optional writing tasks for each reinforcement lesson, with essay prompts modeled after the College Board’s SAT Essay question format and a grading rubric based on the 4-3-2-1 standard.
This product includes:
• An attractive overview presentation explaining the College Board’s SAT Essay expectations and suggestions for successful formatting of students’ essays (24-slide presentation in Prezi, Google Slides, and PDF versions)
• Three eye-pleasing illustrated handouts of authors’ original argument essays (6 pages in PDF)
• Three student handouts of guiding questions (3 pages in PDF)
• Detailed answer keys (3 pages in PDF)
• Optional essay writing assignments based on the SAT essay prompt model (3 pages in PDF)
• SAT essay grading rubric based on the College Board’s 4-3-2-1 grading scale (1-pg. PDF)
Click the “Preview” button at the top of the page to take a closer look.
NOTE: This product was previously known as “Rock the S.A.T. Essay” and has been completely revised to reflect the changes to the S.A.T. essay format. If you previously purchased this item, you can grab a free copy of these updated items by visiting the “My Purchases” area of your buyer page. Enjoy! (Feedback below dated prior to November 27, 2015 refers to the previous version of these SAT Essay materials.)
Also, if you'd like to take a closer look at the three individual argument essay activities included in this bundle, you can see each of them here:
Please DON'T purchase these individual items if you buy this money-saving bundle. (The essays and question sheets are the same.)
Thanks for stopping by!