This interactive SCAT Lesson will get students engaged, involved, and excited about Scat music through:
1. Multiple video examples included in the PowerPoint presentation
2. A brief history of scat singing including Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong
3. Creating their own scat words and syllables
4. Practicing saying the nonsense syllables and scat words in a well known song as a class
5. Learning about backing and karaoke tracks for practicing scat singing!
6. Working alone or in a group of 2 (max 3, in my experience) to prepare a homework assignment and project presentation of SCAT SINGING!
7. The graded assignment, while taken seriously as part of their grade, is more subjective to the teacher knowing their students/their performance than objective to how "well" they actually scat. Students shouldn't be discouraged simply because they are shy or don't feel they can actually sing. This should be a fun assignment. Not an audition for Julliard.
Includes: 15 slide PowerPoint, 3 worksheets, and multiple appropriate video examples for students engaged learning.