Have your students apply their understanding of SCIENTIFIC NOTATION with this ERROR ANALYSIS activity. It includes 10 real-world WORD PROBLEMS that are solved incorrectly. Students have to IDENTIFY THE ERROR, provide the CORRECT SOLUTION and share a helpful STRATEGY for solving the problem. An ANSWER KEY has also been provided with examples of possible answers.
Giving students opportunities to identify and correct errors in presented solutions allows them to show their understanding of the mathematical concepts you have taught. When I present this activity to my students, I tell them that these are errors that students from my other class made and I need their help to correct them. Students LOVE correcting other students mistakes.
This activity perfect for CLASSWORK, HOMEWORK, MATH CENTERS, and PAIR/GROUP WORK. Be sure to download the sample for a full overview of what you get.
✔ Scientific Notation
✔ Comparing Numbers in Scientific Notation
✔ Multiplication & Division with Scientific Notation
✔ Addition & Subtractions with Scientific Notation
Common Core Alignment :
* 8.EE.3 - Use numbers expressed in the form of a single digit times an integer power of 10 to estimate very large or very small quantities, and to express how many times as much one is than the other.
* 8.EE.4 - Perform operations with numbers expressed in scientific notation, including problems where both decimal and scientific notation are used.
* MP3 - Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
This resource is included in my Scientific Notation UNIT RESOURCE BUNDLE!
More SCIENTIFIC NOTATION Resources:
* Scientific Notation PROBLEM SOLVING GRAPHIC ORGANIZER
* Scientific Notation ERROR ANALYSIS
* Scientific Notation MAZE, RIDDLE & COLORING PAGE
More 8TH GRADE review:
* 8th Grade Daily/Weekly REVIEW
* 8th Grade ERROR ANALYSIS BUNDLE
* 8th Grade Winter MATH PACKET
* 8th Grade WORD PROBLEMS WITH GRAPHIC ORGANIZERS BUNDLE
If you would like to get updates on NEW and CURRENT resources...
FOLLOW the Exceeding the Core BLOG
FOLLOW me on Teachers Pay Teachers!
FOLLOW me on Pinterest!
© Exceeding the CORE. All rights reserved. Please note - this resource is for use by one teacher only. Additional teachers must purchase their own license. Copying, editing, selling, redistributing, or posting any part of this product on the internet is strictly forbidden. Violations are subject to the penalties of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.